Sleep disorders are disturbance to our sleeping patterns. There are some type of sleep disorders including insomnia, sleep apnoea, restless legs syndrome, and narcolepsy. If left untreated, sleep disorder can make our overall health disturbed.
Some symptoms indicative of sleep disorders are :
– Excessive daytime sleepiness
– Irregular breathing
– Restless sleep
– Difficulty falling asleep
There are many things that can contribute to the sleep problems such as :
– Physical disturbance such as over exercise
– Certain medical problems e.g. tinnitus
– Lifestyle e.g. caffeine intake
– Psychological problems
– Environmental disturbances such as noise
Related Acupuncture Points :
HT 7, K 3, SP 6, PC 6.
Acupuncture Treatment For Sleep Disorders
Acupuncture seems to be an effective way to treat sleep disorders. After treatment, patients find it easier to fall asleep. The HT7 point, which is the acupoint at the intersection of the hand and wrist closest to the body is a favourite acupoint to treat sleep disorder. Acupuncture treatment also encourages the human body to increase the amount of y-amino butyric acid, which enhances quality sleep.
- Overview – Sleep disorders – Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sleep-disorders/home/ovc-20244168
- Sleep Disorders and Problems: Symptoms, Treatment, and Self-Help, https://www.helpguide.org/articles/sleep/sleep-disorders-and-sleeping-problems.htm
- Sleep Disorders Center: Types of Sleep Disorders, Symptoms – WebMD, http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-disorders-causes