Stomach ulcers, also known as gastric ulcers, are open sores that develop on the lining of the stomach.
Ulcers can also occur in part of the intestine just beyond the stomach – these are known as duodenal ulcers.
Both stomach and duodenal ulcers are sometimes referred to as peptic ulcers. Here the term “stomach ulcer” will be used, although the information applies equally to duodenal ulcers.1
There are many symptoms associated with peptic ulcers or stomach ulcers including; burning sensation or pain in the area between chest and belly button. The pain can be more intense if our stomach is empty. The other symptoms are dull pain in the stomach, weight loss, loss of appetite due to pain, nausea, vomiting, bloating, and burping.
Stomach ulcers occur when the layer that protects the stomach lining from stomach acid breaks down, which allows the stomach lining to become damaged.
This is usually a result of :
- an infection with Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) bacteria
- taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen or aspirin – particularly if they’re taken for a long time or at high doses
It used to be thought that stress or certain foods might cause stomach ulcers, but there’s little evidence to suggest this is the case.3
Related Acupuncture Points :
REN12 ST36 P6 REN11 SP6
Acupuncture Treatment For Peptic Ulcers
Acupuncture can help relieve the symptoms of this disease. In order to cure this disorder, the acupuncturist must first establish the pattern of the development of peptic ulcers. According to the traditional Chinese medicine, peptic ulcers happen because of :
Liver and Gallbladder Damp Heat
Stomach Yin Deficiency
After establishing the proper pattern of the disease, the acupuncturist can establish the treatment method and treatment course.
- Peptic Ulcer Disease (Stomach Ulcers) Cause, Symptoms, Treatments, http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-peptic-ulcer-disease#1
- Stomach Ulcer: Causes, Symptoms & Diagnosis – Healthline, http://www.healthline.com/health/stomach-ulcer#Symptoms3
- Symptoms and causes – Peptic ulcer – Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peptic-ulcer/symptoms-causes/dxc-20231407
- Chinese Herbal and Acupuncture Treatment Protocols for Peptic Ulcer, https://theory.yinyanghouse.com/conditions-treated/alternative-natural-options-for-peptic-ulcer