Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar) is a condition where there is too much sugar contained within our blood. This condition is also known as diabetes. There are two types of diabetes, diabetes type 1 and 2. This condition, if not treated can lead to the damage of nerves, blood vessels, and other organs.
People with hyperglycemia usually have high glucose contained in their urine. This is not a normal condition, as normally there are no glucose in urine. There are many symptoms associated with hyperglycemia, which are feeling thirsty, frequent urinating, headaches, tiredness, blurred vision, hunger, and unable to think and consentrate properly.
Hyperglycemia is cause by having not enough insulin in our body, ineffective insulin function, obesity, eating too much, stressful life, and also heredity factor.
Related Acupuncture Points :
LI11 SP6 ST36 LU10 CV4 GV20
Acupuncture Treatment For Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar)
Although in America acupuncture is well known for treating chronic pain, but in china, acupuncture is believed to be capable to cure diabetes. There are at least 2 methods or ways of how acupuncture cure diabetes, which are :
1. Acupoints used are quchi (LI-11), sanyinjiao (SP-6), zusanli (ST-36), and yishu (special diabetes point located at 1.5 cun lateral to the lower border of the spinous process of the 8th thoracic vertebra). Supplemental points include yuji (LU-10), guanyuan (CV-4), and baihui (GV-20). The stimulation is done by electrostimulator. The treatment was given each day for 30 days.
2. Another method of acupuncture treatment is targeting the acupoint sanyinjiao (SP-6)as the primary acupoint. Another acupoints used were depending on the symptoms appeared, which are feishu (BL-13) plus sanjiaoshu (BL-22) for thirst and dryness of the mouth; zusanli (ST-36) for hunger; and taixi (KI-3) plus shenshu (BL-23) for polyuria. The treatment is given daily for 12 days, then being repeated for another 12 days after 2-3 days of break. The needles inserted at the acupoints stay for 30 minutes after having de qi sensation.
- High Blood Sugar and Diabetes,webmd.com, http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/diabetes-hyperglycemia
- Hyperglycemia, Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD, http://www.medicinenet.com/hyperglycemia/page4.htm
- Hyperglycemia (High Blood Glucose), American Diabetes Association, http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/hyperglycemia.html
- TREATMENT OF DIABETES WITH CHINESE HERBS AND ACUPUNCTURE, by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., Director, Institute for Traditional Medicine, Portland, Oregon, http://www.itmonline.org/journal/arts/diabetes.htm