Thyroid is a gland that produce hormone called thyroxine. If thyroid gland produce too much hormone of thyroxine then body’s metabolism will increase that will cause conditions such as sudden weight loss, irregular heartbeat, sweating, and nervousness. This condition of overproduce hormone by thyroid gland is called hyperthyroidism. The condition of hyperthyroidism can be serious if being ignored. However, this disorder is treatable.
The condition of hyperthyroidism is marked by some symptoms which are tremor, nervousness, weight loss, rapid heart rate, fatigue, weakness, decreased concentration, thinning skin, and sleep disturbance. In older patient, heart failure can occur due to hyperthyroidism. In its severe condition, if left untreated, hyperthyroidism can cause attack called “thyroid storm”. This is a condition that involving high blood pressure, fever, and heart failure.
There are many things that can cause hyperthyroidism. Among them, it is graves’disease that become the most common cause of it. This autoimmune disorder make human antibodies stimulate the thyroid to secrete too much hormone. Other things that may cause hyperthyroidism including excess iodine, thyroiditis, testicle or ovarium tumors, benign thyroid or pituary gland tumor, and too much tetraiodothyronine.
Related Acupuncture Points :
Acupuncture Treatment For Hyperthyroidism
Acupuncture treatment practise see the hyperthyroidism as a disease that caused by qi and yin deficiency, liver fire uprising, and phlegm stagnation. The organs that contribute in this disease are liver, heart, and kidney. The sign and symptoms of each contributing factor are as follow :
1. Liver fire :
irritability, increased appetite, palpitation, and wiry rapid pulse.
2. Qi and Yin Deficiencies :
fatigue, shortness of breath, dry eyes, disturbed sleep, and dry mouth
3. Qi and Phlegm Stagnation :
plum-seed syndrome, enlarged thyroid gland, red tongue, and wiry or slippery-wiry pulse.
4. Liver, Kidney and Heart Yin Deficiencies :
Insomnia, tremors, emaciation, and dry mouth
5. Liver Fire with Phlegm and Underlying Qi and Yin Deficiencies :
Low grade fever, tachycardia, tremors, and enlarged thyroid glands.
The treatment given then must be select appropriate acupoints to treat each of above contributing factors.
- Diseases and Conditions : Hyperthyroidism, mayoclinic.org, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyperthyroidism/basics/definition/con-20020986
- Hyperthyroidism, Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD, http://www.medicinenet.com/hyperthyroidism/page2.htm#what_are_the_symptoms_of_hyperthyroidism
- Hyperthyroidism, Written by Verneda Lights, Matthew Solan, and Michael Fantauzzo, http://www.healthline.com/health/hyperthyroidism
- Treatment of Hyperthyroidism http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/article.php?id=32299