Iron deficiency anaemia is a condition where a lack of iron in the body leads to a reduction in the number of red blood cells. Iron is an important component needed by the body to produce red blood cells. Red blood cells have the function to store and carry oxygen in the blood. Lack of red blood cells in the body can harm the body’s organ and tissue as they don’t get enough oxygen. Anemia has some several different type. Iron deficiency anemia is the most common type. Other type of anemia can be caused due to not enough vitamin B12 or folate in the body.1
At first, symptom of iron deficiency anemia may not be apparent. Frequently, the patient realized that they have anemia until they performed routine blood tests. There are many symptoms associated with anemia. These symptoms can be moderate or severe. The symptoms of iron deficiency anemia are weakness, shortness of breath, pale skin, tongue swelling or soreness, dizziness, general fatigue, and headaches.2
There are few things that are the cause of anemia, which are : blood loss (menstrual period, peptic ulcer, hiatal hernia, colon polyp, and colorectal cancer), lack or iron in foods, lack of ability to absorb iron due to medical condition such as celiac disease, and pregnancy.3
Related Acupuncture Points :
SP6 SP10 BL20 LIV8 BL18 BL17 CV6 CV4 ST36
Acupuncture Treatment For Iron Deficiency Anemia
Acupuncture treatment practise see anemia as an indication of body’s inability to produce enough good quality of blood. The treatment given for this disorder very much depend on the symptoms and condition of each patient. Typical acupoints used for this treatment are :
1. Spleen 10 or SP10 : This acupoint is located at the spleen meridian and also called as xue hai or sea of blood. This acupoint is useful for tonifying the blood and believed to be useful to treat all kind of blood disorders.
2. Liver 8 or LV8 : Also called as Qu Quan or Spring at the Crook. It is located at the Liver Meridian. This acupoint is the most common acupoint used to treat the deficiency of the liver, which is always believed to be related with blood disorders.
3. Stomach 36 or ST36 : It is also called as Zu San Li or Foot Three Mile. Not only useful to improve the qi or energy, this acupoint is also a useful point to improve digestion.
- Iron deficiency anaemia – NHS Choices, http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anaemia-iron-deficiency-/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Iron Deficiency Anemia: Causes, Symptoms, & Treatment – Healthline, http://www.healthline.com/health/iron-deficiency-anemia
- Iron deficiency anemia-Symptoms and causes, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/symptoms-causes/dxc-20266514
- Acupuncture for Pregnancy and Anemia – Meridian Acupuncture Clinic, http://www.altmd.com/Articles/TCM-for-Anemia