COPD is a short version from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It is a disease that happen in your lungs. When people get this disorder, you will feel hard to breathe. The bad news is this disorder can get worse over time.
People that have the COPD disorder usually having difficulty breathing. This is due the narrowing airways, which is known as airflow obstruction. The symptom that may appear following the COPD disorder would be persistent cough that produce phlegm, breathlessness during activity, wheezing, and frequent chest infections.
Although some people not getting COPD even they smoke, but smoking is considered as the primary cause of COPD. The more cigarettes they have, the more likely smoking people developed the COPD disorder. Other things that may cause COPD would be exposure from certain gases or fumes or chemical substance.
Related Acupuncture Points :
KI 3 (Fuliu), LU 9 (Taiyuan), LU 1 (Zhongfu), CV 12 (Zhongwan), CV 4 (Guanyuan), BL 13 (Feishu), and BL 23 (Shenshu).
Acupuncture treatment for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Acupuncture is a popular treatment for COPD in China. Mostly, the acupuncture treatment to treat the COPD is using transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. However, this treatment is usually regarded as complimentary treatment rather than primary treatment. The primary treatment for COPD usually in the form of modern or western medication treatment. If given correctly, the acupuncture treatment will reduce the inflammation at the bronchial passage.
The treatment for COPD using acupuncture will involve some acupoints. The treatment series will be given for two months with total 10 treatments during that period. After received such treatment, it is hoped that the patient condition will be improved, for example, he or she will be able to walk at longer distance compare with prior of treatment. This improvement is attained due to improved respiratory function.
- What Is COPD?, nhlbi.nih.gov, http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, NHS Choices, http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, medlineplus.gov, https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000091.htm
- Acupuncture for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a protocol of a systematic review, bmjopen.bmj.com, http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/4/4/e004590.full
- A case of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) successfully treated by acupuncture, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15969210