Coeliac disease is a condition that make the sufferer of this condition react abnormally to gluten. Gluten is a protein that contained within wheat, barley, and oats. People with this condition will have their villi become inflamed. The inflammation is caused villous athropy. Villous atrophy make the nutrition absorption is not maximal, due to reduce surface area of the bowel.
This disorder is more likely happen to children or younger age, while adults are not likely. The symptoms that may appear at childrean that having coeliac disease are chronic diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, fatigue, and delayed growth and puberty
As explain earlier, coeliac disease is caused by abnormal reaction of our body to the protein called gluten. It is actually a reaction of our immune system. Regarding coeliac disease, it is actually a reaction of our body immune system to the substance of gluten called gliadin.
Related Acupuncture Points :
LI 4, LI 11, LI 20, KI 27, ST 25, and ST 36
Acupuncture treatment for Coeliac Disease
The treatment of acupuncture to cure the Coeliac Disease will be given to the patient for 12 weeks. Each week, the patient will receive 3 session of treatment. After such series of acupuncture treatment, the patient’s symptom of coeliac disease will be resolved. However, this treatment must be accompanied with some dietary changes.
Acupuncture treatment view the coeliac disease as a disease that caused by spleen deficiency. Therefore the treatment protocol given will aim to strengthen the spleen. The treatment given will be paired with herbal medicine.
- Coeliac Disease, coeliac.org.au, http://www.coeliac.org.au/coeliac-disease/
- Celiac Disease Symptoms, celiac.org, https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/understanding-celiac-disease-2/symptomssigns/
- Coeliac disease – Causes ,nhs.uk, http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Coeliac-disease/Pages/Causes.aspx
- Acupuncture and a gluten-free diet relieve urticaria and eczema in a case of undiagnosed dermatitis herpetiformis and atypical or extraintestinal celiac disease: a case report, Bahia A. Ohlsen, DC, MS, MBA, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3315874/
- Acupuncture for Coeliac disease, 14 August 2014 by Heiko Lade, http://www.theacupunctureclinic.co.nz/acupuncture-for-celiac-disease/