Gum disease or also well known as periodontal disease is somewhat a very common disease. Many adults people get this disease. Gum disease can range from simple condition like gum inflammation to a very serious disease where the teeth will lost due to this disease. At the severe state, the disease will make the soft tissue and bone that support teeth getting damage. The severity of gum disease is very much depend on our effort to care and maintain our teeth.
Gum disease is a disease that cause by an infection of the tissues surrounding our teeth. Unfortunately gum disease usually not bring any pain, so we may not aware that we have such disease at our gum. There are some symptoms relating with the gum disease which are our gums easy to bleed, red and swollen gum, persistent bad breath, loosen teeth, and change in the way our teeth fit together when we bite.
It is very clear that the main cause of gum disease is plague at our teeth and gum. However, there are few other things that may contribute to the existence of gum disease. The other cause of gum disease are hormonal changes, other illness, medication, smoking habit, poor oral hygiene, and family factors.
Related Acupuncture Points :
ST5 ST6 ST42 LI4 LI11
Acupuncture Treatment For Gum Disease
Like a western medication treatment practise, acupuncture treatment practise also see oral health as a serious matter, therefore treatment for any disease relating with oral conducted very carefully. Regarding gum disease, there are several acupoints selected for the treatment. The acupoints and some brief explanation are as follow :
1. LI4 : This point is regarded as source point and entry point. The role of this acupoint is to disperse wind, suppresses pain, and clear the qi channels. This point is useful when treating headaches, eye pain, tootaches, epistaxis, deafness, facial edema, facial paralysis, sore throat, trismus, fever, and delayed labor. Combination of this acupoint with another acupoint can effectively cure other disease.
2. LI11 : This acupoint is well known as the sea, earth, and ghost point. This acupoint is useful to eliminate the wind, releasing the exterior, cools heat, alleviates dampness and regulates the blood.
3. ST36 : It is the sea, earth, and sea of nourishment. This acupoint is responsible to regulate the spleen and stomach, control the qi and blood, and also rid away the weakness and deficiency. It is this point that useful to treat symptom and disease like gastric pain, vomiting, abdominal distension, diarrhea, constipation, and edema.
4. ST44 : This acupoint is regarding as ying spring and water. The function of this point is to cool and drain heat of the stomach, regulate qi, and suppress pain. This point is useful when treating tootache, trigeminal neuralgia, mouth paralysis, and sore throat.
- Gum Disease, mouthhealthy.org, http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/g/gum-disease
- Gingivitis and Periodontal Disease (Gum Disease), WebMD, http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/gingivitis-periodontal-disease#1
- Periodontal (Gum) Disease: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments, nidcr.nih.gov, http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/oralhealth/Topics/GumDiseases/PeriodontalGumDisease.htm
- Acupuncture Reduces Periodontitis Bone Loss , healthcmi.com, http://www.healthcmi.com/Acupuncture-Continuing-Education-News/1438-acupuncture-reduces-periodontitis-bone-loss