Heel Pain is the pain we feel at our heel. It is felt as an intense pain. Heel Pain is considered as common foot condition, and usually it is builds up gradually and become worse and worse over time. The pain become more intense and severe if we put weight on our heel. Heel pain usually affected only at one heel, although some people are reported to feel the pain at both heel. The pain usually emerge in the morning and may get better if we get walked. But the pain can get worse again after certain distance of walking and or standing.
Symptom of heel pain are as follow :
1. Stone bruises : bruising fat pad underside of our heel. The fat pad could be discoloured or look normal.
2. Plantar fasciitis : inflammation of the fascia, pain under your heel.
3. Heel spur : development of heel spur (calcium deposit) at the fascia tissue band.
4. Pain behind the heel : Inflammation at the area where achilles tendon insert into the heel bone.
The most common causes of heel pain are plantar fasciitis (bottom of the heel) and Achilles tendinitis (back of the heel). The other things that can cause heel pain including Achilles tendon rupture, Bursitis, Osteomyelitis, Peripheral neuropathy, Reactive arthritis, Sarcoidosis, and Tarsal tunnel syndrome.
Related Acupuncture Points :
Acupuncture Treatment For Heel Pain
Heel pain is caused by plantar fasciitis. This condition is caused by repetitive stress disorder due to the accumulation of micro-trauma.The acupuncture treatment of this condition will be performed in four steps, as follow :
1. Needle Shaofu HE-8, the shaoyin corresponding point. This treatment is aiming to treat the yin surface of the palm and foot
2. A. Treating the acupoint of Fuliu KID-7 plus Jiaoxin KID-8 or Dazhong KID-4 plus Shuiquan KID-5 to activate the kidney channel and treat heel pain symptoms.
B. Treating the acupoint of Taichong LIV-3 plus Yongquan KID-1 to give benefit to the tendons and ligaments. Treatment will be involving the electrical stimulation as well.
C. Treating the region of Chengjin BL-56 and Chengshan BL-57 will give benefit to the calf muscles.
Other points that may be used, include Sanyinjiao SP-6, the crossing point of three leg yin, and Yanglingquan GB-34, the hui-meeting point of sinews.
3. A. Treatment at the acupoints that benefit the qi, blood and the zangfu organs
B. Treatment at the acupoints that rid away Liver qi stagnation, Liver yin deficiency and Liver blood deficiency.
C. Treatment at the acupoints that will improve the kidney deficiency
4. A. Treatment at the Two points at Shimian M-LE-5
B. Treatment the “Medial” Shimian
C. Treatment the Shimian M-LE-5 + “medial” Shimian
- Heel pain , NHS Choices, http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/heel-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Heel Pain, aofas.org, http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-heel/Pages/Heel-Pain.aspx
- Diseases and Conditions : Heel Pain, mayoclinic.org, http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/heel-pain/basics/causes/sym-20050788
- Plantar Fasciitis, Acupuncture Treatment of Heel Pain, By Whitfield Reaves, https://www.jadeinstitute.com/jade/plantar-fasciitis-acupuncture-treatment-heel-pain.php