Herniated disc is a condition where spinal disc get slipped from its position. This out of position condition sometimes can make the nerve get pressed and pinched. This pinched nerve make the patient who suffer from herniated disc feel pain. Other term that also describing this condition would be pinched nerve and bulging disc.
Herniated disc mostly produced symptoms if there is a nerve being pinched. If there is no nerve that get pinched, then herniated may produce low back ache or maybe no symptom at all. Symptoms of herniated disc as a sign of pinched nerve are pain that travels through the buttock, tingling sensation, weakness in certain muscles in one or both legs, pain in the front of the thight, and severe deep muscle pain.
There are many cause and risk factors relating with herniated disc, which are older age, certain motion of our body, twisting or turning move when lifting an object, lifting too heavy object, being overweight, and loosing of protective fluid of our disc.
Related Acupuncture Points :
Huatuo Yaoyan Extra Point Josen The Yang Qiao Du Mai Extraordinary Vessel Pair
Acupuncture Treatment For Herniated Discs
According to acupuncture technique, the method to cure herniated disc is using a technique called eight needle technique. It is a technique that is effective in treating low back pain that cause by deficieny of yang and qi in kidney. The acupoints used and its explanation are as follow :
1. BL23 : It is the back shu point of kidney which is responsible to regulate the qi of the kidney, resolve dampness, fortify the back, nourishing kidney essence, and also important for the bones and marrow (nourishing the blood)
2. GV4 : Fortify the kidney essential qi, improve vitality, strengthen the yang of the kidney and lower back, removing the cold, and dry the damp-cold.
3. BL25 : This point is regarded as the back shu point of the large intestine. The treatment of this point will give benefit such as removing the stagnation of qi and blood, rid away the numbness feeling, and remove obstruction from the channel.
4. GV3 : Treatment of this point will give benefit such as tonify the qi and yang of the kidney, strengthen the lower back and legs, removing numbness, warming the cold, and also dries the dampness.
5. BL40 : This point is also known as the he-sea point of the bladder channel. It is the regulating point of the channel. Treatment at this acupoint will bring benefit such removing dampness of the bladder channel, rid away the blood stasis, cure channel obstruction, and open the channel to give benefit to the lower back.
- What’s a Herniated Disc, Pinched Nerve, Bulging Disc…?, by Peter F. Ullrich, Jr., MD, Orthopedic Surgeon, http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/herniated-disc/whats-a-herniated-disc-pinched-nerve-bulging-disc
- Lumbar Herniated Disc – Symptoms, webmd.com/, http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/tc/herniated-disc-symptoms
- What causes slipped disks?, healthline.com, http://www.healthline.com/health/herniated-disk#Causes3
- Help for Prolapsed Intervertebral Discs of the Lumbar Region (Herniated Discs), By Skya Abbate, DOM, http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/article.php?id=27817