Labor induction is involuntary birth of babies. The induction of babies usually done by using medication. The inducement is done to stimulating conctraction of the uterus so that the vaginal birth happen easily. The induction of babies chosen if the doctor consider that the fetus or mother is at risk.1
Labor inducement is said to be successful if the cervix getting ripen and there is contraction in the uterus. The induction is usually done by infusing medication like oxytocin. This drug is a synthetic form of body hormone that produce naturally during spontaneous labor.2
The reasons of using labor inducement methods are :
– Mother or fetus’s safety is at risk
– Labor hasn’t start naturally at two weeks beyond due date
– Uterus infection
– Water has broken
– Fetus is no longer growing at expected pace
– Placenta peel away from uterus inner wall.
Related Acupuncture Points :
Acupuncture Treatment For Labour Inducement
The benefit of acupuncture to induce the labour actually is not yet proved to be effective. But somehow, after careful observation it is concluded that the use of acupuncture to induce the labour is safe and has no known adverse effects to the fetus. The aim of using acupuncture for this situation is to ripen the cervical. It is usually perform during the third semester of pregnancy. The acupoints targeted at this situation are usually the acupoints that are located around lower abdomen.
- Labor Induction – ACOG, http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Labor-Induction
- Inducing labor | BabyCenter, http://www.babycenter.com/0_inducing-labor_173.bc
- Inducing labor: When to wait, when to induce – Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/labor-and-delivery/in-depth/inducing-labor/art-20047557
- Acupuncture for induction of labour – National Library of Medicine, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0011712/