Migraine is recurrent headaches. The intensity of headache could be moderate or severe. It is considered as primary headache. Migraine usually affecting only one half of the head. The headache feeling could be feel like pulsating. Duration of migraine could be 2 or up to 72 hours. There are approximately 15% of people around the world that have migraine.
Symptom of migraine is that is the headache feeling. The pain of migraine could be worsen by physical activity. Other symptom of migraine are nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light, sound and smell. Other symptom of migraine would be an aura. An aura indicating that migraine attack is coming. Aura is a short period of visual disturbance.
The cause of migraines are mainly genetics and environmental factors. Change of hormone also could become the cause of migraines. The risk of migraine usually decreasing during pregnancy.
Related Acupuncture Points :
LI4 LV3 ST8
Acupuncture Treatment For Migraine
Acupuncture treatment method regard migraine headaches as syndromes of meridians. Therefore, treatment given to the patient based on the theory of syndrome differentiation of meridians. Acupoints based on the theory of syndrome differentiation of meridians in headache region are :
1. Shaoyang headache (TE-GB): SJ5 (Waiguan), GB34 (Yanglingquan).
2. Yangming headache (LI-ST): LI 4 (Hegu), ST 44 (Neiting).
3. Taiyang headache (SI-BL): BL 60 (Kunlun), SI 3 (Houxi).
4. Jueyin headache (PC-LR): LR3 (Taichong), GB40 (Qiuxu).
5. Nausea and vomiting: PC6 (Neiguan).
6. Dysphoria and susceptibility to rage: LR3 (Taichong).
Please note that all the acupoints above are an additional acupoints. The primary acupoints that are to treated are DU20 (Baihui), DU24 (Shenting), GB13 (Benshen), GB8 (Shuaigu), SJ20 (Jiaosun) and GB20 (Fengchi).
- Migraine – Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migraine
- Migraine – Symptoms – NHS Choices, http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Migraine/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
- Migraines: Causes, Symptoms and Treatments – Medical News Today, http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/148373.php
- The design and protocol of acupuncture for migraine prophylaxis, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2680846/