A panic attacks is a sudden episode of intense fear. The episode usually comes on within minutes and can last for about 30 minutes. Although not a life threatening disorder those who suffer from episodes of panic attacks should seek help from a psychiatrist.
Periods or episode of panic attacks are usually accompanied by many symptoms such as; palpitations, sweating, shaking, shortness of breath, chest pain, numbness and a feeling that something bad is about to happen.2
Panic attacks can be caused by many things including; certain medications, depression, drug habit, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, post traumatic stress disorder,etc. The panic attack can happen suddenly or be triggered by something. The risk factors for this include smoking and psychological stress
Related Acupuncture Points :
HT7 LV3 SP14
Acupuncture Treatment For Panic Attack
Panic attacks are a mental illness and for many mental health issues, acupuncture is already proven to be an effective treatment. According to the Chinese treatment theory, panic attacks are caused by stagnation of Liver Qi that turn into Liver Fire. The treatment is somewhat complex because it is a combination of treatments at body acupoints, nourishing point and auricular point. The acupoints used in this treatment are :
– Body acupoints : P7, P6, TB5, HT7, LI11, Sishencong, Yintang, LR3, DU20 and ST44.
– Nourishing acupoints : ST36, SP6, K3, and K7
– Auricular acupoints : Ear Liver, Kidney, Heart, Brain, Sympathetic and Shenmen
- Panic attack – Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack
- Panic Attack Symptoms: Shortness of Breath, Racing Heart, & More, http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/panic-attack-symptoms
- Panic disorder – Causes – NHS Choices, http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Panic-disorder/Pages/Causes.aspx
- Panic Attacks and Acupuncture – HealthCMi, http://www.healthcmi.com/Acupuncture-Blog/723-panicattacksshenmen