Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) causes narrowing of the peripheral arteries. The peripheral arteries are the major blood vessels that carry blood to the legs, stomach, arms, and head. The narrowing of the arteries can be caused by the same factors as those which cause Coronary Artery Disease (CAD).
The symptoms of (PAD) are :
– Cramp pains
– Leg or hip pain
– Tiredness in the leg or hip muscles especially when walking or climbing
The cause of (PAD) are much the same as the cause of coronary artery disease (CAD). It is caused by atherosclerosis which in tern is caused by;
Related Acupuncture Points :
PC6 ST36 SP6 P9
Acupuncture Treatment For Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD)
One of the treatment protocols for Peripheral Arterial Disease is by stimulating the acupoints of PC6, P9, ST36 and SP6. Stimulation is done using an electro stimulator. The size of the needles used is 0.3 x 40 mm. The needles are inserted to the depth of 5 to 10 mm. Stimulation is given to the acupoints in the following order : ST36, SP6, P9, and PC6. The treatment objectives aim to increase of blood circulation and flow of the qi. The chosen acupoints are considered to be active acupoints in cardiovascular system and blood circulation.
- About Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) – American Heart Association, http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/VascularHealth/PeripheralArteryDisease/About-Peripheral-Artery-Disease-PAD_UCM_301301_Article.jsp#.WID4DH0nLYg
- 9 Peripheral Vascular Disease Symptoms, Signs, Risks, & Treatment, http://www.medicinenet.com/peripheral_vascular_disease/page2.htm
- Peripheral Artery Disease: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments …, http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/188939.php#PAD_causes
- Effects of Electroacupuncture in Recently Operated Peripheral Arterial, http://www.tmj.ro/article.php?art=5589804640124464