Rheumatic fever is serious complication that can develop following an untreated throat infection( by a type of bacteria called group A streptococcus).
Rheumatic fever usually occurs 1 to 5 weeks after the initial throat infection. Symptoms that may indicate rheumatic fever are :
– Joint pain and swelling
– Shortness of breath
– Chest pain
– Rheumatic fever is rare in the UK
The symptoms of rheumatic fever aren’t caused by the streptococcal infection. It sends antibodies to fight it. However, the antibodies sometimes attack the tissues of parts of the body, such as the joints or heart instead. If the antibodies attack the heart, they can cause the heart valves to swell, which can lead to scarring of the valve’doors’ (called leaflets or cusps).
Related Acupuncture Points :
ST-34, SP-10, LE-5, ST-35, SP-9, ST-36, BL-17, BL-18, BL-20, BL-23, LI-4, and CV-4
Acupuncture Treatment For Rheumatic Fever
Just like any other acupuncture treatment, treatment for Rheumatic Fever is also uniquely designed for each patient. In order to successfully treat the disease or disorder, the acupuncturist must establish the disease pattern. The disease patterns for Rheumatic Fever are due to factors like Liver Fire, Liver Wind, Liver and Gallbladder Damp Heat, Kidney Yang Deficiency, Liver Yin Deficiency, and Blood Stagnation. Only after establishing the correct pattern, can the acupuncturist design the correct treatment method, course, and protocol.
- Overview – Rheumatic fever – Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/rheumatic-fever/home/ovc-20261251
- Rheumatic fever – NHS Choices, http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Rheumatic-fever/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
- Rheumatic Fever: Causes, Treatment, & Prevention – Healthline, http://www.healthline.com/health/rheumatic-fever#Overview1
- Chinese Herbal and Acupuncture Treatment Protocols for Rheumatoid, https://theory.yinyanghouse.com/conditions-treated/alternative-natural-options-for-rheumatoid-arthritis-ra