Mucus is a thick,white and sticky substance . The stool is the material that is evacuated by the body through the rectum during defecation. Mucus in the stool is quite normal. However, having large amount of mucus in the stool should not go unnoticed as it might be an indication of inflammation of the colon. Sometimes, not only mucus, but also blood may be present. This condition is called as bloody-mucoid stool.
The symptom of this disorder is the existence of large amount of mucus in the stool. It is a condition to be aware of as it might be a sign of other disease. Other symptoms that might accompany the mucus in the stool could be abdominal pain, blood in the stool, and change of bowel movements.
Medical assistance should be sought to exclude any serious condition.
There are many things that can cause the existence of large amount of mucus, which are :
– Bacterial infections
– Anal fissures and ulcers
– Irritable Bowel Syndrome
– Bowel obstruction
Related Acupuncture Points :
ST25 ST37 SP15 SP9 SP10 LI4 LI11 LR2
Acupuncture Treatment For Mucus In Stool
According to the acupuncture treatment practise, mucus in the stools is caused by dampness in the large intestine. The treatment principle for this disorder is to resolve the dampness. The acupuncturist will targeting some acupoints, which are :
1. To clear damp from lower burner :
SP9 (Yinlingquan), SP 6 (SanYinjiao), REN 3 (Zhongji ), and BL 22 (Sanjiaoshu)
2. To resolve dampness :
REN 12 (Zhongwan)
3. To Clear Heat and Dampness :
LI 11 (Quchi)
4. To regulate spleen and resolve dampness :
BL 20 (Pishu)
- Mucus in the stool – Definition – CCM – Health and Wellbeing – Ccm.net, http://health.ccm.net/faq/3614-mucus-in-the-stool-definition
- Why Is There Mucus in My Stool? – Healthline, http://www.healthline.com/health/mucus-in-stool#Symptoms2
- Mucus in Stool: What Does it Mean? – Medical News Today, http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/310101.php
- Large Intestine Pattern Differentiation in Chinese Medicine, https://www.sacredlotus.com/go/diagnosis-chinese-medicine/get/zang-fu-large-intestine-patterns-tcm