Narcolepsy is a brain disorder that make the sufferer fall asleep too easily, which usually happens at inappropriate times. This is because the brain fails to regulate the sleeping pattern. It is considered to be a long term disorder and typically doesn’t cause serious or long term physical health problems, although it is very disturbing to daily life activities.
The symptoms of narcolepsy include :
– Drowsy feeling throughout the day
– Difficulty in focusing and staying awake
– Accidentally falling asleep
– Temporary inability to move or speak when waking
– Excessive dreaming
There are no known exact cause of this disorder, but,most people with narcolepsy have low levels of hypocretin. It is believed that this low level is due to an autoimmune disease. Genetic factors also play a part.
Related Acupuncture Points :
LU9, SP3, SP9, ST36, ST40, KD3, UB23, SJ5, DU20, DU4, DU15
Acupuncture Treatment For Narcolepsy
The role of acupuncture for narcolepsy is especially to control the symptoms of the disorder. The treatment involves treatment to the scalp acupoints, the meridian points ( to improve the spleen condition) and also auricular acupuncture which is effective in creating neurotransmitters. The disorder of narcolepsy is believed to be caused by spleen deficiency. Improving the function of the spleen will enhance the flow of yang qi to the head and remove accumulated phlegm. The combined treatment to the scalp, auricular, and spleen strengthening can treat narcolepsy effectively.4
- Narcolepsy – NHS Choices, http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Narcolepsy/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Narcolepsy Symptoms, Treatment & Remedies – National Sleep …, https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/narcolepsy-and-sleep
- Narcolepsy Causes – Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcolepsy/basics/causes/con-20027429
- Acupuncture For Narcolepsy, http://www.drmihaly-acupuncture.com/acupuncture-for-narcolepsy.html