The term nerve here does not refer to the central nervous system, but rather to the peripheral nerves. Peripheral neuropathy, a result of damage to the peripheral nerves,often causes weakness, numbness and pain, usually in the hands and feet. It can also affect other areas of the body. It can be a complication of a some medical condition. There are three types of nerves involved: autonomic, motoric, and sensoric. 1
The symptoms of neuropathy depend on the type of nerves that are affected :
– Sensory nerves : tingling, pain, numbness, or weakness of the feet and hands
– Motor nerves : weakness of the feet and hands
– Autonomic nerves : Fluctuation of heart rate and blood pressure and/or sweating
‘Bell’s palsy’ is also a symptom of neuropathy, it is a neuropathy of the facial nerve that affects the muscles and the skin of the face.
Many cases of neuropathy happen to those with diabetes disease. The other cause of neuropathy are: physical trauma, repetitive injury to that part of the body, metabolic syndrome. Exposure to toxins and dangerous chemical can also cause neuropathy. Sometimes the cause is unknown or idiopathic.3
Related Acupuncture Points :
LI15 LI11 SJ5 LI4 GB30 GB34 GB39 SP6 DU14 DU12 DU9 UB14 UB16 LI11 UB60
Acupuncture Treatment For Neuropathy
One type of neuropathy is peripheral neuropathy. Acupuncture is an effective treatment for this disorder. Neuropathy is often a secondary condition to other disease, such as diabetes. According to the traditional acupuncture treatment practise, neuropathy happens due to dampness in the limbs organs. The existence of dampness makes the qi and blood flow not smooth. Although acupuncture treatment seems to be an effective way to treat neuropathy, combining treatment with another treatment such as herbal medicine will accomplish a better and faster result.
Acupoints that are frequently used for this treatment are :
– Upper limb : LI-15 / LI-11 / SJ-5 / LI-4 / Baxie Points
– Lower Limb : GB-30 / GB-34 / GB-39 / SP-6
– Body points : DU-14 / DU-12 / DU-9 / UB-14 / UB-16 / LI-11 / UB-60
Acupuncture treatment for neuropathy usually take from 5 to 30 minutes. The treatment sessions will be conducted one or two times per week.
↑ BACK TO THE TOP ↑
- Neuropathy: Causes, Symptoms and Treatments – Medical News Today, http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/147963.php
- Peripheral neuropathy – Symptoms – NHS Choices, http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Peripheral-neuropathy/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
- Symptoms and causes – Peripheral neuropathy – Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peripheral-neuropathy/symptoms-causes/dxc-20204947
- Treating Peripheral Neuropathy with Acupuncture and Chinese, https://www.acufinder.com/Acupuncture+Information/Detail/Treating+Peripheral+Neuropathy+with+Acupuncture+and+Chinese+Medicine