Non-Hodgkin lymphomas (NHL) are growth in the lymphoid tissues. Usually the growths occur in the lymph nodes. Lymph nodes, also known as lymph glands, are pea-sized lumps of tissue found throughout the body. They contain white blood cells that help to fight against infection. The swelling is caused by a certain type of white blood cell, known as lymphocytes, collecting in the lymph node. This cancer is treatable especially if treated at the early stage.
The most common symptom of NHL is enlarged lymph nodes. These growths are not painful. In fact, if you feel pain at your swollen lymph nodes then most probably it is not a cancer. The lymph nodes affected are usually those located in the neck, armpit, or groin. Other general symptom that might happen are: night sweat, sudden weight loss, fever, persistent cough, and itching.
Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is caused by a change (mutation) in the DNA of a type of white blood cell called lymphocytes, although the exact reason why this happens is not known.
Anyone experiencing symptoms or anyone having a diagnosis of Non Hodgkin’s lymphoma should see their doctor as a matter of urgency so as to get the right treatment.
Related Acupuncture Points :
Acupuncture Treatment For Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
Chinese medicine see lymphoma as being caused by wind and heat that make the blood become dry. The internal organs that are closely related with this kind of disease are spleen and kidney (yang vacuity). Dealing with lymphoma, there are five main medical patterns, which are :
1. cold and phlegm congelation and stagnation
2. qi depression and phlegm binding
3. wind heat and blood dryness
4. liver-kidney depletion and detriment
5. qi and blood dual vacuity
The patterns above show the progression of the lymphoma disease from early to later stages, therefore the pattern no 5 which is qi and blood dual vacuity is the worst condition. Each stage of the disease comes with its own sign and symptoms. In order to cure the lymphoma disease, the acupuncture therapist must pay attention to the above pattern so that they can choose the appropriate treatment course and method. Please note that the treatment for this disease must be very carefully undertaken by experts as the lymphoma disease is not a simple or common disease.
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma: Practice Essentials, Background, http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/203399-overview
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma – Symptoms – NHS Choices, http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/non-hodgkins-lymphoma/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma Causes – Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/non-hodgkins-lymphoma/basics/causes/con-20027792
- Chinese Medical Treatment of Malignant Lymphoma – ChiroFind, http://chirofind.com/mpacms/at/article.php?id=28009