Menopause is described as the time when women no longer have their menstrual period. It is defined as menopause if the period of no menstrual happen for 12 consecutive months. When women enter their menopause period, they become infertile and no longer be able to have a baby anymore.
Woman can tell if they enter their menopause period mainly because their menstrual period start to change. This changing period is called as perimenopause and menopause transition. Women usually get their menopause when they enter the age of 50. Other symptoms that indicating that menopause time is approaching are night sweats, mood swings, vaginal dryness, libido fluctuations, forgetfullness, sleeping disorder and fatigue.
The cause of menopause is the change of level of hormones. As women get older, the level of hormones produced by the ovaries can change. This type of menopause is called as natural menopause. Other type of menopause is induced menopause. The factor that affecting the start of menopause are heredity and smoking habit.
Related Acupuncture Points :
K3 GV4 HT7
Acupuncture Treatment For Menopause
Acupuncture treatment is very unique. The treatment for each person can be different with another person. It is also happen in the treatment of menopause. One of the treatment method for menopause is as follow :
– Hot flushes using Guanyuan Ren-4 with strong stimulation and moxibustion
– Quchi LI-11 using electro-acupuncture
– and Sanyinjiao SP-6 with acupuncture
Treatment is given twice per week during 2-3 weeks.
Other treatment method for menopause were treating the patient by acupuncture and moxibustion using Feishu BL-13, Xinshu BL-15, Ganshu BL-18, Pishu BL-20, Shenshu BL- 23, (using oblique insertion) and were manipulated to the point where the patient felt de qi. The points were warmed by moxa sticks or by moxa on the needle. Sessions lasted on average 20 minutes. Patients were treated initially twice a week for 4-6 treatments until their physical state was appreciably better, whereupon they were treated weekly for another 4-6 weeks. Subsequently monthly treatment allowed the maintenance of the results obtained.
- Definition of Menopause – MedicineNet, http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=4352
- Symptoms and Signs of Menopause – Healthline, http://www.healthline.com/health/menopause/symptoms-signs#Outlook2
- What Is Menopause? Causes, Symptoms, What Happens – WebMD, http://www.webmd.com/menopause/guide/menopause-basics
- Menopause and acupuncture: the evidence for effectiveness, http://www.acupuncture.org.uk/a-to-z-of-conditions/public-review-papers/menopause-and-acupuncture-the-evidence-for-effectiveness.html