Lung cancer is a cancer that originate in lung. It is considered as the most deathly cancer. There are three types of lung cancer, which are :
– Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer, this is the most common type of lung cancer. Squamous cell carcinoma, adenocarcinoma, and large cell carcinoma are sub-types of non small cell lung cancer
– Small Cell Lung Cancer, also called as oat cell cancer. This type of lung cancer often spread quickly
– Lung carcinoid tumor, which grow slowly and rarely spread.
The symptoms of lung cancer usually not show up until the disease has advanced into final stage. Therefore it is important to consult the doctor any unusual feeling in your chest or lung. The symptoms of lung cancer including cough that won’t go away, chest pain, change of volume and color of sputum, breath shortness, hoarseness, blood in the mucus, and coughing up blood.
Mostly, the cause of lung cancer is due to smoking habit. The risk of having lung cancer increased as the number of cigarettes smoked increased.Women are said to have high risk of having lung cancer if they smoke also. The risk of having lung cancer not only high for direct smoker / active smoker, but it is also high risk for passive smoker. Exposure to certain gas or chemical also can increase the risk of having lung cancer. People who also smoke using pipe and cigar smoker also have high risk of having this kind of cancer.
Related Acupuncture Points :
LI4, LV3, ST36, SP6, P6, and LU7
Acupuncture Treatment For Lung Cancer
The acupuncture treatment for lung cancer actually is not the treatment for cure the lung cancer. The goal of the treatment is actually to relieve the symptoms. The symptoms can come from the lung cancer or from the treatment (usually from modern medication treatment).
The acupuncture treatment for lung cancer conducted as long as 45 minutes for each session. Each week, the patient will receive up to 2 sessions of treatment. There are 9 acupoints involved in this treatment. 6 of them are body acupoints, which are LI4, LV3, ST36, SP6, P6, and LU7. While other 3 acupoints are an auricular points, which are shenmen, subcortex, and zero22. The needles will be inserted in each acupoint until sense of de qi felt and then the needles will stay at its place for another 30 minutes.
- Lung Cancer | American Cancer Society, http://www.cancer.org/cancer/lungcancer/
- Symptoms of Lung Cancer – Lungcancer.org, http://www.lungcancer.org/find_information/publications/163-lung_cancer_101/266-symptoms
- Causes of Lung Cancer: Smoking, Asbestos, and More – WebMD, http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/guide/lung-cancer-causes#1
- The potential role for acupuncture in treating symptoms in patients with lung cancer: an observational longitudinal study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3671020/